Call us: 0330 043 0211
COVID-19 - We are open and here for you
White Arrow
Back to guides

Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR)

Elliott Jones

In order to file a self assessment you will need to obtain a UTR. You will get this when you register online for self assessment and it consists of a ten digit number.

Suretax can help you with getting ready to file your self assessment, or if you prefer, the following steps need to be taken:

  • Register online for HMRC services
  • Enroll for self assessment
  • Once you have enrolled, HMRC will issue an activation code which will be posted to you (this will expire after 28 days)
  • You need to activate the service by inputting the code

You need a UTR for filing self assessment, but you may also be required to quote your UTR when applying for a tax relief or benefit, or if you need to contact HMRC

If you can’t remember your UTR, you can find it when you log in to HMRC service, on the front of any HMRC documentation that you have received relating to self assessment, or on the front page of previous tax returns

Suretax Your Unique Tax Reference (UTR)
Suretax is an award-winning accounting firm providing tax and business solutions
Contact Us
White Arrow

Related Guides

Talk to our tax experts today to see how Suretax accounting can help you and your business.

Talk to an accountant