Last updated on:
March 17, 2024

To start your Self Assessment journey with HMRC, you may need to fill out an SA1 form if you find yourself in situations where you're earning untaxed income, claiming certain tax reliefs, or earning above a specific threshold, among other criteria. The SA1 form is essentially your ticket to the Self Assessment world.

You can easily access this form on the HMRC website, whether you choose to download it for postal submission or opt for the simpler route of registering online. Completing this registration is crucial because it ensures you're all set to manage your tax affairs properly.

After registering, keep an eye out for your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number, delivered by post. This number is pretty important—it's essentially your personal identifier for all things tax-related within the HMRC universe. With your UTR in hand, you're ready to tackle your tax return, ensuring you're up-to-date with your obligations and potentially seizing opportunities for reliefs and deductions tailored to your financial activities.

By clicking “Accept”, you agree to the storing of cookies on your device to enhance site navigation, analyse site usage, and assist in our marketing efforts. View our Privacy Policy for more information.

Arrange your free initial consultation today.

Book Free Consultation
UK's best rated accountant 2021
Rated Excellent
5 Stars
on Trustpilot